Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2016

Five Countries without Filters (FNAF reference)

The class I am taking is known as the Water Class. We learn mathematical and scientific ways on how water is made, and how we can use it. This blog is about a project at school in which my class and I had to build our own water filter. The reason we did this was because we were learning about aquifers and the water table as well. The other reason we did this was because around the world, people usually don't have access to pure water. So, to acknowledge the lack of clean water, we created our own water filters.

J.N 2016 Oct 17
Filter Poster
The materials that were needed for this project were sand, gravel, activated carbon, cloth, and an empty 67 oz bottle (Coke). The other materials that were needed to build were a hammer and nail. I bought the gravel, bottle, and carbon from Walmart. As for the cloth, hammer, and nail, I brought them from home. There were two different types of sands I used, but one of them was from Home Depot and the other from school. I had a prototype, and I acquired sand from a nearby area. It wasn’t until later on in this filter, than I realized the sand I had was more dirt than sand. This ruined my prototype and my first try on this filter.

There were various steps to building this filter. What I first did was that I cut open the bottom of the bottle in order for water/the ingredients to enter(Carbon, Gravel Sand). I first used the hammer and nail to poke at least 4 small holes, and three big holes into the cap of the bottle. The reason why I did this was because I saw one of my classmates doing this method, and it work really well for him. My prototype had a very slow rate of filtration, and I didn’t want the same mistake with the caps on this one. I then cut and added a small piece of cloth twisted onto the bottle with the cap. The reason was because I wanted the water to be clean and not have any other substance with it when it came out of the bottle. I then added activated carbon, and put another piece of cloth on top of the carbon. Next, I put gravel on top of that cloth, and added sand as well. The reason to put sand on gravel and not vice versa was because when I was at the water filtration plant, they had put sand on top of gravel. This was because in water, a heavier and larger object would fall faster than a smaller object. So I followed their example. The problem was I had sand from a nearby golf course at the time. When I tried to put water in it, it made the water even more disgusting. So I had to wash the bottle after my first try, and had to redo most of the process. Only this time, without the golf sand. I bought all purpose sand the next day, and also used some of the Petco school sand when I got to school. My filter was then finished.

How my filter works is I first put water into the top of the surface, where all the bigger and smaller pieces will already be filtered out due to the fact that the top of the filter is pet sand. The water then goes through all the purpose sand, and then through the first piece of cloth. The reason I added cloth there was because I did not want the sand to fully mix with the gravel. The water then goes through the gravel in order to let the water pass quickly while leaving some traces of water. It then goes through another piece of cloth, and goes to the last layer. The last layer is active carbon, and the reason carbon is there is because it absorbs tiny molecules of dirt/toxins with its pores.

How my filter is similar to groundwater filtration is that it has water pass through many natural substances you would find in the wild, such as sand and gravel. It also has a similar layering system, with sand at the top, gravel in the middle, and charcoal at the bottom. Finally, it produces clean and efficient water, but doesn’t change the pH much.

The reason I choose to make my water filter look this way is because in mind mind, it was easy to gain access to all these items. Most of these items you can either find in the forest, such as sand gravel, and charcoal. As for the rest, you can find it in any trash can, grocery store, or even polluted lake. These items would be the bottle and the cloth.


J.N Oct 6 2016
Dirty Water
                                                                            Dirty Water

J.N Oct 6 2016
Clean WateJ.N. 2016 Oct 5
Clean Water

The water I was filtering out was originally river water from a previous FE(Field Experience). I added substances such as dirt, street water, and a cigarette butt into my dirty water in order to see the difference. After I dirtied up the water, I tested out the ph level, and got a 4.0, or an area that is in the acidic part of the pH scale. After I used my filter with the water, I got a 4.1, a 0.1 difference from the dirty water.

I of course didn’t taste the water. I would be poisoned, or at least have diarrhea. Instead, I smelled both of the water samples so that I wouldn’t get sick. The dirty water smelled like a cigarettes. This is because in the dirty water, it had some cigarette butts in it. The clean water didn’t have much of a scent, so that meant the filter did work properly in some ways. But judging by the ph level, the filter didn’t fully filter the water. The sample that was filtered was cleaner and little to no dirt than the before sample.
                                                      My Water Filter
J.N Oct 13 2016
"Filter Picture"
To find out the difference of the ph level for the two different waters, we must first find out the equation. In a calculator, there is a way to find the ph using the equation -log10(H+)=ph. Since we already know the ph, all we need is the (H+) so we can find out the difference. So what we do is we reverse/switch up the equation -log10(H+)=ph, we would get the equation 10^-ph=(H+). For the ph of 4.0, it is 0.0001. For the ph of 4.1, it is 0.000079432. If we divide both of them, the answer would be 0.7493… for the (H+).

Equation: -log10(H+)= 10^ph=(H+), so, -log10(H+)= 10^-ph(4.0/4.1), and that would equal 10^-4= 0.0001and 10^-4.1=0.000079... Divide 0.0001 from 0.000079... = 0.7493

Before After

0--------4-4.1-----------7---------------------14

Acidic Neutral Basic



Work Cited

“How to make a Water Filter” wikihow.com 2016, oct 5
URL:http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Water-Filter

“How To Make A Water Filter” wilderness-survival-skills.com 2016, Oct 5
URL:http://www.wilderness-survival-skills.com/how-to-make-a-water-filter.html

“Practical Primitive” practicalprimitive.com 2016 Oct 5
URL:http://www.practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/charcoalfilter.html

J.N "Picture Filter" blogger.com  2016 Oct 13
URL: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7631565437023437593#editor/target=post;postID=8007807837895614081;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=0;src=postname

J.N "Clean Water" blogger.com   2016 Oct 6
URL://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7631565437023437593#editor/target=post;postID=8007807837895614081;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=0;src=postname

J.N  "Dirty Water" blogger.com   2016 Oct 6
URL://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7631565437023437593#editor/target=post;postID=8007807837895614081;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=0;src=postname

J.N "Filter Poster" blogger.com   2016 Oct 17
URL://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7631565437023437593#editor/target=post;postID=8007807837895614081;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=0;src=postname

No comments:

Post a Comment