Pages

Monday, March 25, 2019

Independent study

As an atheist, the study of religion is fascinating because it allows a person to ask "Why is this followed?" or "What is the appeal?". Furthermore, it creates a sense that you're understanding the history of the world and of yourself as you read through the text. This is why I took an Independent Study on Tibet Buddhism, where I worked on understanding the religion and what it stands for within the latest unit of my school. I also learned about grammar, understanding structures of essays and sentences, and viewing the history of Tibet Buddhism. This lead myself and my instructor to Midwest Buddhist Temple, where we learned about the philosophy of shin buddhism and what the religion creates belief upon.

For a final project, I constructed (with the help of my instructor) an essay on Buddhism, asking the question "If Buddhism is a religion, where is its god?".  To prepare, I called different churches with different perspectives asking them about religion, and how they define it. With grand results, I am proud of my project after the multiple trials of writing and rewriting, understanding structure of essays, and much more. I also felt this class connected to my Humanities class, since the essay process was inspired by what was taught by my Humanities teacher. Overall, it was a terrific experience learning about religion, and I am planning on redoing another course.

No comments:

Post a Comment