Pages

Friday, February 23, 2018

The Grand Question

Socrates(Father of Western Philosophy) was executed because the Athenians accused him of "tormenting/corrupting the youth". His trial was transcripted and later called "The Apology". He used what was known as the Socratic Method as a defense. The Socratic Method is a series of questions meant to contradict the opposing side in an argument so the other side could see the flaws in their own views . For his case, it was with one of the senators, Meletus, who accused Socrates. Socrates multiple times made Metelus contradict himself, as well as the Athenian government. He was unfairly executed, though his ideas and method will live on for centuries to come.

Hello everyone, my name is JN, and I am taking a class called Forbidden Books. In which we learned about the banning of books, why they were band, and very few philosophies. We had also gone to multiple Field Experiences, such being Women and Children First Bookstore. For one of our assignments, we had to act out the Socratic Method, and record it with a partner. Because I did not find a partner, I acted as both people. The main point of this video is to show the dangers of the Socratic Method, in which one could turn an the opposing side's argument against them. The trouble I had with creating this assignment was the recording during which I was interrupted multiple times. What I enjoyed about this was the characters and the conversation they had. Still, I hope you all enjoy my the video, as well as learn how the Socratic Method works.

      

 

No comments:

Post a Comment