Pages

Monday, January 6, 2020

Forest preserve work

When I work in the forest preserve, I had learned about the history of several preserves, the natural plant life, and contributions people had done before hand. A good example is in the Lemont forest area know as Black Partridge Woods, where there was a rich history of the forest once being owned by an old farm in the 40s. I got to see the remains of the farm such as where the farmhouse was and several pieces of old farm materials such as old lawn mowers. The forest now is ripe with plants, especially a plants known as dogwood, a thorn plant with mixed colors of red, blue, and purple.

The more important part of volunteering was the people I made connections with and the experience I had making a different. When I volunteered at the Great Chicago Food Depository, I didn't feel like a change was made. Rather, it felt like a long and continuous pile of work of food packaging with nobody wanting connections. I wanted to move, but I could only do so in a limited space. When the group were done, the workers at Chicago food depository would state the difference we made, but I didn't see proof. When I distributed food in Chicago, I would just stand in one place not taking a break. It was nice to give food to needy people, but I didn't feel comfortable just standing in one place.

In the forest preserve, even if one gets dirty, you feel like you make a change. I would see mountains of invasive trees before me and in just a few hours they were all gone and there would be a lovely landscape. I would get breaks and talk to people in the cold as a fire warmed us all up and food was provided by a good friend. I would play my violin sometimes for a special occasion with the people I met their outside and inside of work. The outdoors made me feel healthy, and I was more productive because of it. I'm proud to say I worked 39 hours on end to get my work done and to serve my community.
JN "Workday at Cap Sauers" now website, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment